This tiny mill town in western Greenwich was founded in 1774 by Baptist settlers, who established their church by the Byram River. Its industrial history began with a mill for grinding Peruvian bark into patent medicines. Later, the American Felt Company turned out the majority of felt for hats in the United States. It operated until the mid-1970s. Restaurants, office space and condominiums now occupy the mill, noted for its scenic millpond and waterfall. There is also a small shopping area for everyday needs.